This is a yummy soup recipe a friend shared with me about twenty years ago. The original was delicious but it used mainly canned ingredients and cream soups. I have adapted this over the years to make a healthier but still very tasty and easy soup. This is my son’s favorite soup.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2lb – 3/4lb leftover roasted chicken, shredded in bite size chunks, or poached chicken
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes with green chili’s (you could use rotels, I use Trader Joe’s version because it’s organic)
- 1 1/2 32oz. cartons of chicken broth or (6 cups) homemade broth
- 1/2 cup flour (you could also use corn starch or arrowroot)
- Spices: 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, (to taste) sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
Stuff for the bottom of the bowl:
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Crunched up leftover tortilla chips (you know the stuff no one wants to eat because it’s small and broken)
- A dollop of sour cream
I know a lot of people have tortilla soup recipes if you have a recipe that you love please share it in the comments below.